26 March 2006

Distance

"Distance has no way of making love understandable."
--"Radio Cure," Wilco

It's been a little over three months since I've been back in the States and so much has changed. London (and every place I visited) seems like a distant memory, which is somewhat unsettling for me. Honestly, being in London felt so real and permanent while I was there. I knew that I would be leaving soon, of course, but the everyday mundane things--going to the grocery store or catching the same bus in the morning--made the fact that I was living there so undeniable.

Anyway, I'm back in Atlanta living in a new house, enjoying a new relationship and spending my time at a new internship. My life has changed drastically since the plane landed at Hartsfield in December and I thought: Will I ever be truly happy here again? I'm now happily in love, which, I believe is one of the quickest and most effective ways to turn everything in your life upside down and completely change your plans for the future.

So it turns out that one of the most beneficial things about going to London was realizing how amazing life can be if I stop worrying about it. Once I returned home, it only took me a month to decide to date my best friend, with whom I had been refusing a relationship for two years prior. And, although it may be premature to say so, it's been one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Overall, I feel more mature and settled as of late. I'm beginning to reach a point where I'm really satisfied with how life has turned out so far, which is a good place to be pre-graduation (I still have a year, but I tend to worry far ahead of time). I constantly felt happy in London and fortunate to have such a blessed life and that, thankfully, is something I brought home with me.

And, just for the record, I'm planning to make my second return trip to London within the next year.

No comments: