31 August 2005
Bordeaux
Well, I made it to Bordeaux. It wasn't exactly a breeze; it feels great to finally be here and be able to relax (even if just for a day). Everything is beautiful here: the people, the streets, the clothes, the weather, the food ... it's exactly what I envisioned France would be.
One thing I've discovered is that ma frqnçais est trés mal. Absolutely horrible. Another discovery is that barely anyone speaks English here, and those that do don't speak it very well. Needless to say, it's a bit of an adventure. Unfortunately, my directional skills are nearly as bad as my French, leaving me wandering in circles wondering that if I asked for help, whether I'd be able to understand the answer.
I also arrived too late to schedule a guided tour of the local wineries. I think I'll spend today wandering aimlessly and soaking up the atmosphere. Last night, I overcame my fear of dining alone and enjoyed a long dinner and wonderful wine outside a charming Italian place. I participated in the French art of people-watching and basked in the setting sun. It was a perfect end to an otherwise hectic day.
---
My last day in London was perfect. Alex and I had originally planned to go to Carnival, but he had just returned from Russia the day before and I was getting over a cold, so we opted for a less strenuous day. We joined some of his friends and fellow New Zealand journalists at Hampstead Heath and laid in the sun all afternoon, talking, enjoying a light picnic lunch, and taking in the expansive view of London. Everyone said that it was the most beautiful weather they had seen in a long time, and the park was proof: the grass was full of Londoners sunbathing, playing sports, picnicking, playing and listening to music, and generally enjoying the day.
Later on, Alex's friend Chris, who also went to Russia, joined us for a drink at a nearby pub. We got along well, and depite the fact that everyone I met was much older than me, I think I held my own. Chris left, and Alex and I had dinner at a small Thai place on the patio overlooking Hampstead Heath. Finally, we had a "quiet drink" at his favorite pub.
I really enjoy hanging out with Alex, and can't believe that we're friends. For so long, I admired him so much--from afar--as a journalist ... this seems like a dream.
---
So today marks one week and I've already seen and experienced so much. I feel so lucky and totally unworthy, but I'll do everything I can to ensure I make the most of this.
One thing I've discovered is that ma frqnçais est trés mal. Absolutely horrible. Another discovery is that barely anyone speaks English here, and those that do don't speak it very well. Needless to say, it's a bit of an adventure. Unfortunately, my directional skills are nearly as bad as my French, leaving me wandering in circles wondering that if I asked for help, whether I'd be able to understand the answer.
I also arrived too late to schedule a guided tour of the local wineries. I think I'll spend today wandering aimlessly and soaking up the atmosphere. Last night, I overcame my fear of dining alone and enjoyed a long dinner and wonderful wine outside a charming Italian place. I participated in the French art of people-watching and basked in the setting sun. It was a perfect end to an otherwise hectic day.
---
My last day in London was perfect. Alex and I had originally planned to go to Carnival, but he had just returned from Russia the day before and I was getting over a cold, so we opted for a less strenuous day. We joined some of his friends and fellow New Zealand journalists at Hampstead Heath and laid in the sun all afternoon, talking, enjoying a light picnic lunch, and taking in the expansive view of London. Everyone said that it was the most beautiful weather they had seen in a long time, and the park was proof: the grass was full of Londoners sunbathing, playing sports, picnicking, playing and listening to music, and generally enjoying the day.
Later on, Alex's friend Chris, who also went to Russia, joined us for a drink at a nearby pub. We got along well, and depite the fact that everyone I met was much older than me, I think I held my own. Chris left, and Alex and I had dinner at a small Thai place on the patio overlooking Hampstead Heath. Finally, we had a "quiet drink" at his favorite pub.
I really enjoy hanging out with Alex, and can't believe that we're friends. For so long, I admired him so much--from afar--as a journalist ... this seems like a dream.
---
So today marks one week and I've already seen and experienced so much. I feel so lucky and totally unworthy, but I'll do everything I can to ensure I make the most of this.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment