23 August 2005
Random Thoughts
Written during my flight from Atlanta.
It just occurred to me that deciding to take this trip is probably the most selfish thing I've ever done. Even with financial aid and my personal money, my parents are paying an exorbitant amount for this experience. Furthermore, my motive in going overseas is to broaden my horizons and to enjoy a truly unforgettable experience. The selfishness of going abroad occurred to me while I was daydreaming, thinking bigger, entertaining the possibility of living overseas for an extended period of time. To do such a thing, there would have to be a bigger purpose than my personal enjoyment for me to truly be happy and satisfied. I've always enjoyed serving others and have always envisioned myself doing something for the greater good later in life.
Last night, my mother noted that "to affect the world in a positive way, you need to see the world first," (or something to that affect). This trip will undoubtedly be an opportunity for me to gain a wider understanding of the world and will hopefully be an entree to some inspiration on how to effectively and positively use that understanding.
So here's to inspiration and the future. I may not impact the world, but maybe I'll figure out how to affect my little corner for the better. Cheers.
It just occurred to me that deciding to take this trip is probably the most selfish thing I've ever done. Even with financial aid and my personal money, my parents are paying an exorbitant amount for this experience. Furthermore, my motive in going overseas is to broaden my horizons and to enjoy a truly unforgettable experience. The selfishness of going abroad occurred to me while I was daydreaming, thinking bigger, entertaining the possibility of living overseas for an extended period of time. To do such a thing, there would have to be a bigger purpose than my personal enjoyment for me to truly be happy and satisfied. I've always enjoyed serving others and have always envisioned myself doing something for the greater good later in life.
Last night, my mother noted that "to affect the world in a positive way, you need to see the world first," (or something to that affect). This trip will undoubtedly be an opportunity for me to gain a wider understanding of the world and will hopefully be an entree to some inspiration on how to effectively and positively use that understanding.
So here's to inspiration and the future. I may not impact the world, but maybe I'll figure out how to affect my little corner for the better. Cheers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment