Today marks exactly two weeks until my August 23 departure. Friday is my last day of work at The Carter Center, and the following week will be spent frantically trying to pack five months' worth of clothing and necessities into a reasonably-sized suitcase or two.
I spent the entire summer anticipating a semester abroad, and now that it's practically here I feel like I'm not yet ready to leave. Initially, a semester didn't seem like long at all; however, right now, nearly half a year seems like a very long time to be away from home. The other thing I'll be doing next week is saying goodbye to friends and family -- something I hardly look forward to.
For those of you who don't know, I'm spending a month overseas before school actually starts. My plans for the next few weeks are as follows:
- August 23 - 28: spend a week in London with Kerry, my second-cousin who has previously studied in London and hopes to get a graduate degree from Oxford one day
- August 29: visit with Alex, an expatriate of New Zealand, current resident of London, and the man responsible for opening my eyes to what the world holds for me; get prepared for traveling solo
- August 30 - September 10: travel around southern France and Spain via the Eurail system; I still haven't any concrete plans, nobody traveling but me -- this is the portion of my travels that should be mighty interesting
- September 11 - 14: take the train to Paris to meet my parents and Rory for a whirlwind visit; we'll be staying in a hostel in Montmartre, and I'll be undoubtedly happy for the time together
- September 15: return to London and move into the Middlesex dorms
- September 26: classes begin
My planned destinations -- London, Bordeaux, Toulouse, Barcelona, Seville, Madrid, Paris
I'll try to update whenever possible, but I have no idea what to expect. Just writing about the next month gives me a rush of exhilaration. I can't wait for what lies ahead.
1 comment:
And you miss Portugal?
Post a Comment