25 June 2007
Home
During my freshman year of college (which gladly still feels pretty recent), I started receiving a personalized daily email from The Universe. The emails are usually witty, often inspiring, and sometimes dead-on insightful.
Anyway, when you sign up for the service, you are asked what tangible thing you really want in life. You know, a new car, or an engagement ring ... something to look forward to getting someday. This item is often mentioned in the daily emails as a source of encouragement.
I had a rough time coming up with an item. I knew I wanted a career, to live in a new city, see the world ... but I couldn't really come up with a tangible object that would motivate me on a daily basis.
So, I kind of cheated ... I told The Universe I wanted a house. And, in all honesty, I guess I do want to own a house someday. But what I really wanted more than anything was to feel a sense of "home." From the time I entered college, home became more of an idea than a place, and throughout college I looked forward to the day that I could connect the two -- the idea and the place.
Well, it looks like I need to come up with a new dream item now.
I adore the home that Jamie and I have made. It's more than the idea and the place -- it's ours, and that makes it more meaningful than anything else.
Anyway, when you sign up for the service, you are asked what tangible thing you really want in life. You know, a new car, or an engagement ring ... something to look forward to getting someday. This item is often mentioned in the daily emails as a source of encouragement.
I had a rough time coming up with an item. I knew I wanted a career, to live in a new city, see the world ... but I couldn't really come up with a tangible object that would motivate me on a daily basis.
So, I kind of cheated ... I told The Universe I wanted a house. And, in all honesty, I guess I do want to own a house someday. But what I really wanted more than anything was to feel a sense of "home." From the time I entered college, home became more of an idea than a place, and throughout college I looked forward to the day that I could connect the two -- the idea and the place.
Well, it looks like I need to come up with a new dream item now.
I adore the home that Jamie and I have made. It's more than the idea and the place -- it's ours, and that makes it more meaningful than anything else.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment