04 October 2005

Distance

Things haven't been that eventful in terms of outings or traveling lately. I went to Chinatown tonight, but that's been the extent of my London travels since the transportation nightmare. I have, however, been spending some quality time with people on campus. I went to a quaint pub Sunday night with my Belgian flatmate Karen and she and I shared wonderful conversation and a bottle of red wine. We've made plans to visit Oxford this weekend, which I'm much looking forward to. I've spent loads of time with Jason; last night I got to know quite a few British students really well; I seem to generally be more social and outgoing than I am at home. Already, part of me wants to distance myself from certain people before I really get attached. On the other hand, I feel like I should live in the moment, and not worry about the future. Three months is going to arrive really quickly, though, and I can't bear to think not only about leaving London, but leaving behind amazing friends, too.

This is all ironic, of course, because I was warned of this dilemma the first week I was here. At the time, I didn't want to hear it. I had just arrived overseas, and the next four months seemed to stretch out ahead of me without the end in sight.

I guess a reality check is bound to come one of these days. For now, I'm not ready nor willing to worry about it. For now, I'm choosing option B and living in the moment.

1 comment:

Becca said...

I'm glad you're living in the moment. That's how it should be.

Just worry about it when the time comes...Separation is never fun, but is necessary. But you'd regret it if you went home without having fully connected with people.

Oxford is a BEAUTIFUL place. I really remember enjoying it there. I hope you have fun!