
I had a wonderful weekend, despite the fact that none of it was quite like I had planned.
On Saturday, I got up before the sun and was ready and waiting at the train station by 7:00, only to be told that the 7:21 train was delayed due to a signal failure. The next one wasn't scheduled until 7:51 and I had to meet my group at 8:00. Alas, I didn't get to go to Stratford-upon-Avon and Warwick castle. Considering how much I was looking forward to the trip and that it was the second time I've missed out on a CEA outing, it's surprising I didn't get more upset.
Fortunately, I've become quite adept at dealing with disappointments and making the most of a change in plans. That's exactly what I did. I got on the next train anyway, went to the Victoria & Albert museum for an hour (I absolutely loved the fashion and photography exhibits) and went to the Portobello market before it got mobbed. I bought some things for people back home, which really cheered me up.
Later, I met up with friends and we went to the Somerset House, a gorgeous riverside palace with a beautiful courtyard and fountains, and amazing (free!) art galleries which house some amazing Impressionist and post-Impressionist work. We then went to a highly recommended hummus restaurant, had a drink at the Dog and Duck -- one of George Orwell's old haunts, and finished the night with drinks at a trendy bar.
Not at all the day I had planned, but equally exciting and memorable. I'm currently working on scheduling a self-guided trip to Stratford with friends.
This next week is going to fly by. Tomorrow, in addition to class all day, I'll be meeting one of Alex's friends to see Sufjan Stevens. On Tuesday, I volunteer, have a presentation in my Popular Culture and the Media class, and will be seeing The New Pornographers. (Two great concerts back to back, I'm thrilled!) Besides volunteering, Wednesday is my least busy day. On Thursday, my sociology course is meeting at the London Museum. That afternoon, I'm leaving for Rome and will spend three nights there. I get back Sunday, just in time start another week all over again.
Yes, Rome. Did I mention I was going? It was definitely on my list of must-see places and I wasn't sure if I'd get to go because I couldn't find anyone who was free/interested/had the money. So, I took initiative and booked myself a plane ticket. I'll be going on my own, which will bring back great memories of backpacking around France and Spain. I can't wait.
I tend to do a lot of thinking, but I can't possibly figure out what I did to deserve all of this greatness. When I stop and think about it, it doesn't seem real.
2 comments:
You're such a beautiful, positive person.
Ah yes...Warwick Castle. They have some neat things...and ducks that like to attack at random.
Sounds like you still made the best of your day, even though you missed the group. You sound like you have a busy few days ahead of you, so I wish you the best of luck on everything!
Love and miss you!! I really cannot wait until you get back. I think about you all the time, and I am so excited about getting to hang out with you and chat for hours!
Post a Comment