I didn't make it to Stonehenge. I left my dorm room at 6:45 this morning and didn't get into London until 9:00. First off, the train station was closed. No big deal. I took a bus to the Oakwood Tube Station, which also turned out to be closed. The Underground kindly provided replacement buses to Wood Green, the closest station that was operating. By the time the bus got there, however, it was 8:20, and the coach had already left for Stonehenge nearly a half hour before then.
Not to be deterred, I decided to make the most of the day and spend some time in London. Big mistake. I should have returned home and crawled back into bed. I spent as much time in the city (3 hours) as it took me getting home. The trip back to Middlesex was a huge mess. For some reason, multiple tube lines were closed and no trains were running anywhere close to where I live. After an hour of switching lines and figuring out routes around construction and delays, I made it to Wood Green where I caught another replacement bus headed for Oakwood. Almost there. I sat in the front seat on the top level of the double-decker bus, where I could see everything below me. Thus, I witnessed the car in front of us hit on the brakes and the collision that was caused because our driver was too slow to do the same. I nearly hit the glass and (in possibly the only lucky event of the day) I'm very glad I didn't--the entire windshield below was broken.
I couldn't believe it. I got off the bus, and headed towards the next closest bus stop while the other passengers stood on the sidewalk, dazed. Suddenly, another bus pulled up and everyone piled on, leaving me behind. So, completely unaware of where I was and without a map (who needs the A-Z in Stonehenge?), I stood waiting for another replacement bus and they kept passing me by. Then it started to rain. I was ready to cry from frustration.
Six buses and nine hours later, a very tired, annoyed, and cranky Katie is back, and has never been happier to be in her little dorm room. Guess who's going to the pub tonight?
---
Ah, but I did have a good time in London. I browsed through the Portobello Market, which is fantastic, and bought a 5-CD box set of classic jazz tunes for only ₤10. Even in U.S. dollars, I'd consider that a deal.
I also spent some time in Kensington Gardens and visited Pricess Diana's former residence. To add to the bizarre events of the day, I found myself in a situation where I kept beat on a park bench while a homeless man sang "When the Saints Go Marching In." We gathered a crowd, and I thought I was going to die of embarrassement. It's a long story, but a funny one at least.
This picture, taken in the park, isn't hearly as good as one of Stonehenge would have been. Oh well. It's been one of those days ...

Off to the pub for a well-needed pint.
3 comments:
Wow, I really want to hear that bum story. Also, I looked it up and this weekend, Oct 1 and 2, they are doing maintenance on most tube lines.
I bought steak fries at the store along with some malt vinegar and had the best chips ever.
Geez, Katie...what a ridiculous day. I can only imagine your frustration.
To answer your comment on my Xanga, the apartment is nice...I like how it's kinda tucked away. It's lonely at times, but I can usually entertain myself. I can't wait for you to see my crazy decor.
On a different note, I'm so sorry I have been aloof in my commenting and reading duties. It's been one hell of an emotional ride for me this past week or so. So, while you're at it, drink a pint for me, too!
I miss you terribly...You're going to be so much more mature and wordly when you return. I hope you'll still want to hang out with me!!
I love you, Katie! Take care, and I hope you avoid any more transporation errors!
It's good to know such trauma is not confined to MARTA.
I'm still amazed how you manage to stay positive despite everything; it's a very admirable trait.
I'm glad you're having an awesome time in London, and hope to read many more entries in the coming months. :)
Post a Comment