During dinner, we discussed all that we want to do and see before the semester is over and ultimately had to write it all down to remember. I worry that I won't have enough time to see and do everything I want to in London, much less other cities in Europe. As of right now, I only have one weekend left that I don't have either a trip scheduled or someone visiting me.
And, somewhere during all of my trips and sightseeing, I will manage to get some schoolwork done. I spoke to my parents this weekend -- it's been a while -- and I was updating them, separately, on life and what I've been up to. Each one said the same thing: "Good, but what about school?"
I'm finally beginning to have papers and presentations due, and schoolwork will begin to take up some of my time. Up until this point, Middlesex has demanded six hours' worth of class time from me each week, and not much more. Part of me wishes I were getting a more academically-demanding and challenging experience here. Then again, I realize that I'm probably getting a lot more out of having fun and traveling. Not everyone gets to spend five months of their life doing so. I'm a lucky girl, indeed.
I adore Emily, seriously. One day we'll get tired of being journalists and will each find great success as a novelist. Then, needing some inspiration and having money to spend, we'll both return to London. Emily will live in a charming flat in Hampstead, and I will finally buy property in Notting Hill. We'll carry on our Wednesday night traditions of museums and dinner and live happy, happy lives.
(For the time being, we're poor college students who are ever-grateful for the chance to study in London and are desperately trying to make the most of it. That means, conserving our money in whatever way possible. We do this by making purchases like scarves at places like ultra-cheap grocery stores such as Tesco. Haha.)
2 comments:
I feel like school is so unimportant compared to the Experience you have while in your college years. Especially while abroad...I'm so happy you're making the most of your time. School, I think, is definitely the second tier of importance.
That's a wonderful life you and Emily will have. Sounds so romantic (in a picturesque way, not in a love way, of course!)
Yeah, sounds about right Katie. But you left out our joint movie venture, which wasn't a big box office hit, but was adored by the critics and is headed for cult classic status. Oh, and of course let's not fail to mention my on-again off-again romance with Jake Gyllenhal (you know, one of those "meet me in Milan tonight" and "let's spend a weekend in Morroco" type of torrid love affairs) and you're steady but still thrilling relationship with an up and coming British artist just nominated for the Turner prize.
In the mean time, while we're still gasping at five pound cocktails and longing hopelessly for the latest boots in Hampstead store windows, don't knock the Tesco scarves. They may be a cheap polyester blend, but I like to think of them as the poor man's cashmere. Haha. Love ya sis! See you around the flat!
Post a Comment