There weren't any orientations or activities planned today, so I went into London with a group of friends. We went to Camden and browsed the (relatively) cheap shops. Most of the stores sold things like second-hand clothing, old records, drug paraphanalia, used books, rare posters, etc. It was a cool area to spent the afternoon in.
We then took the tube to Hampstead Heath. The walk was long, but worth it. The weather was gorgeous and the view of London is unbeatable. Plus, we got to see a really huge table and chair.


All in all, it was a good day and I was glad that others are up for exploring the city like I am.
---
One thing I've discovered is that drinking will be hard to escape. It's bizarre; even Middlesex promotes drinking. During our first orientation day, the dean welcomed us and encouraged us to come out to the student union for free drinks. And last night, the campus arranged for a bus to come and take us to a huge nightclub. The buses didn't return until 2:00 a.m. I don't think a U.S. school--no matter how liberal the institution--would sponsor an outing like that.
Anyway, tonight it's drinks for only a pound at The Beef and Barrell, a nearby pub. I chose to stay in, but the desicion wasn't easy. It seems like there's something going on every night, whether it's a large event or a party on campus. It's also hard not to feel like you're missing out, by opting to stay in. The truth is, I'd go broke really, really quickly if I went out every evening. Plus, I'd like to get a lot more out of this experience than simply enjoying the chance to drink legally.
1 comment:
Wow, sign me up for that school!
But you probably are right...drinking all the time, no matter how ubiquitous and inviting as it may seem, probably wouldn't be the best way to spend your semester in London.
It sounds like a complete blast, and I'm glad that you've made some great friends there already! I'm jealous, however, that I've never seen a table and chair that large before, and you have ;-)
Post a Comment