14 September 2005

Paris

So, my lack of entries should suggest that I'm having an amazing time, which is the case. Paris is amazing. I wondered whether I'd be let down a bit -- I have a tendency to set my expectations too high, and I've dreamt of Paris for years -- but this city has exceeded my expectations. It's just as beautiful and charming as everyone says, and I've had multiple occasions that I have to stop, take it all in, and nearly pinch myself to make sure it's not a dream.

Being with the family has been bittersweet. In a way, it's made me realize the benefits of solo travel, because going places seems like a struggle and, after doing whatever I want, I have to exercise much patience when we're compromising and figuring out plans. More so, however, it's been wonderful. If there was any time to make such an amazing trip, this seems like the perfect one. Rory and I are both old enough to appreciate it and be impacted by such an awesome opportunity, and my parents are at an age where their lives will be changing soon (kids moving out, etc.) and doing something like going to Paris is a huge, exciting milestone. Mom has even teared up at a few major landmarks, just because she's dreamed of visiting those places all her life.

Speaking of major landmarks, we've packed in a lot into a short period of time: the Eiffel Tower (a picnic on the lawn below, watching the tower lightshow -- a major highlight), the Louvre, Saint Chappelle, Notre Dame, the Rodin Museum, Champs d'Elysee (during night and day), the Arc de Triumph, Musee d'Orsay, various sights in Montmartre, etc., etc.

Rory and I went out last night to the Latin Quarter, the university part of town. We had a decadent three-course French meal, and I convinced him to join me at a bar afterwards. Mom and I had breakfast on the Champs at a sidewalk cafe this morning, and dad and I spent hours together at the Musee d'Orsay this afternoon. I've really appreciated the opportunity to spent one-on-one time with each of them; as of tomorrow, I won't be seeing the family until Christmas.

I'm looking forward to our last evening together. I couldn't ask for a better trip. This last month-- now that it's beginning to sink in--has been absolutely unreal. I'm beyond lucky.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How can you keep 'em down in Ellenwood once they've seen Paree?Hope you got to Middlesex with no probs.

Becca said...

I am so happy you completed your solo journey successfully! Not that I really doubted that in the first place...:-)

If I went to France, I'd have the same feeling you had when you were in Barcelona...But Paris does sound like a captivating city.

And soon you begin your classes in London...How excited I am for you!