19 September 2005

London Calling

It's hard to believe that I've been here less than a week. Some of the friendships I've made so far are stronger than ones I have back home, and I feel like the people on our little campus (just one campus on many at a relatively large school) are like a close-knit group of friends.

Today I finished the last of many orientations. I've only got a few more things to do, like get a student ID and get my class schedule, and then I won't have anything scheduled until school starts next week. We ditched the Oktoberfest idea; partly because it would have been really expensive and partly because we want to spend time getting to know London.

I spent yesterday in the city and finished the day with a traditional afternoon tea. CEA and Middlesex are really enthusiastic about organizing events, and the students are enthusiastic in return and actually attend. On Friday, Middlesex has organized a night river cruise on the Thames, which should be good fun, and CEA has planned a number of big excursions, including overnight trips to Wales and York and daytrips to Bath, Stonehenge, and Stratford-upon-Avon.

I'm looking forward to meeting locals, in addition to international students. I want to get involved with the school newspaper, if they have one, and maybe some clubs. I'd also like to get a job, which would be a great way to meet people outside my social circle at Middlesex. I was riding on the Tube last night and saw an advertisement for a Not-for-Profit Fair, which is apparently the UK's biggest non-profit job recruitment event. That would be aiming a little higher than a job at a coffee shop, but with my Carter Center experience and especially if I consider staying here a year, I might have a chance. It's worth a shot, anyway.

So, in short, I'm having the time of my life. I'm meeting a diverse range of people, which will enable me to do a variety of things and not get stuck with one crowd--i.e. I can party with friends when I want to, and just as easily spend a quiet day at a museum with others. I want to get as much out of this experience as possible, and I feel confident that I'm on the right track.

In Paris, my father and brother visited the Dali Museum. Dad shared a Dali quote with me afterwards, and I loved it. It's very appropriate for what's going on in my life, I think: "Everything alters me, but nothing changes me."


The view from my window. The skyscrapers in the far, far distance are in The City, London's financial district. That's how far away we are. At least the weather's been nice.

No comments: