17 September 2005

Middlesex

I decided to stay in tonight, partly because I need a night in and partly due to the fact that I've got to be ready to leave the campus at 7:30 tomorrow for CEA orientation.

So, I'm at Middlesex. I really, really like it here. It's technically still in London, and close enough to be there within 20 minutes (via light rail) or, if you take the Tube, 45. It feels completely separate from the city, though, which is kind of nice. This area is packed with bars and little shops and cheap places to eat, and I haven't even begun to explore the university yet. Our dorms are nice, I'm friends with all of my flatmates, and there's lots to do simply on our little campus, such as visiting the student bar or going to the awesome gym.

I've already met so many people. I feel ten times more social and outgoing here than I do back home. Everyone is really friendly -- it's as if we realize that we're in a completely foreign country, and don't want to waste time or opportunities by being stuck up or shy.

A sampling of the friends I've made: Jen, who I bonded with immediately and spent the first two days with, is the life of the party and a good person to know, she's up for anything; Barry, one of the student assistants, is from Belfast and knows everyone on campus; Zeina, one of the student assistants, is another fun lady and has a job in PR organizing parties, she's taking Jen and I to a posh "MTV launch" party; Peter, my next-door neighbor, is very laid-back and cool--we have similar tastes in music and get along really well; Emily, who lives across the hall, shares so much in common with me--we're journalism majors, vegetarians, love the same books, have the same shoes and purse ... It's uncanny; Lydia and Nanda are from Barcelona and Portugal, respectively, and are enthusiatic about practicing their English and observing and participating in a completely different culture and lifestyle--I walked around London with them today and had a great time getting to know about some of the many cultural differences we have.

The lovely Jennifer Ringrose and me.


That's just a sampling. In just a few days, I feel like I've really bonded with many of the international Middlesex students. Emily, Peter and I are considering going to Germany next week during our three days off to celebrate Oktoberfest.

This is all so surreal. It makes me wonder if there is life out there like this, or if this is simply one long, unrealistic vacation, during which I haven't gotten a glimpse of "real life" in the places I've visited. Not sure if that made sense. Either way, I'm enjoying myself now. I'm so happy I decided to come over here.

No comments: