19 October 2005

Warm Fuzzy Feeling

I attended my first volunteer session today, and I absolutely loved it. I'll be volunteering twice a week at local community shelters, basically playing with young children who live in temporary housing. Most of their parents are refugees.

The room, which was filled with about 25 toddlers and their mothers, was the most ethnically-diverse place I've ever been in. Many of the women did not speak English, or very little at all, and you had to admire them for wanting to be a part of the community and make the most of their situation. I'd really love to sit down with each woman and learn her story, how she wound up here in London. It would be fascinating.

Often when I'm around young children, I'm reminded of how innocent we all are born. It was especially apparent today, seeing how color had nothing to do with how the children played together. In my sociology courses, professors continually remind us that race is socially constructed and doesn't really exist. A lot of students seem to have a rough time grasping that concept. These kids completely understand. If only it would last.

So I'm filled with goodwill and inspiration at the moment. It's a good mood to be in, as I have an evening out planned with my lovely flatmate Emily. We're going to cast our vote for the Turner Prize at the Tate, try to find a particularly offensive and controversial billboard before it gets taken down, eat at a vegetarian restaurant, and top off the evening with drinks and conversation at a local pub.

Just in case you were wondering about the Turner Prize (I know you were), have a look-see:
http://www.tate.org.uk/britain/turnerprize/2005/

1 comment:

Becca said...

You know what...I just realized how much I really want to be in London with you right now. Like...That whole evening out with your flatmate sounds so wonderful. Ah...I must go back to London at some point...I would enjoy it so much more this time...

The volunteer work sounds wonderful...I think children are wonderful. You can't help but wonder how they'll grow up, but at the same time, you wish they could stay young and innocent and carefree...I wish I could go back to that state.

Oh, and Hanson was last night...I missed you!!! It was so amazing...one of the best yet. They really rocked hard. My sister got Taylor and Zac to autograph her guitar...I didn't stay and wait around for autographs this time. I have mine, so I was satisfied just going to the concert and enjoying the music.

Which reminds me...You need to check out Live and Electric, that is, if you haven't already. It's really edgy!

Okay, enough about Hanson! I miss you so much!!!