17 November 2005
The other side
I just re-read my September 23 entry, written one month after I arrived overseas. Today marks exactly one month until I return to Atlanta. Thinking about it makes me feel really conflicted, a bit sad, and somewhat nervous. I remember being more nervous about traveling on my own than I was studying abroad, and it seems really bizarre to be nervous about coming home.
When I think about it, though, my fears are substantiated. I have experienced (and have a month remaining of) an absolutely life-changing, invaluable, words-can't-do-it-justice time here. I have made so many incredible friends, become more confident and independent than I ever could imagine, and learned to trust and believe in myself. I have seen more of the world than I ever expected to in a lifetime, been exposed to an intoxicating mix of viewpoints and cultures, and seen how exciting and fulfilling life can be. I have learned a great deal about myself, gotten a glimpse of the future, and discovered who is trustworthy and truly important to me. I have matured, dealt with homesickness and heartbreak, and figured out how to make the most of bad situations.
My biggest fear is that I will lose all of this when I come home. Sure, I worry about missing London and being bored and uninspired in Atlanta. I worry that I won't make friends as easily as I did here. Most of all, though, I worry that all of this growing and experiencing may be lost when I return home. I will be moving to a new place when I return -- I have no idea where -- and will be in a semi-new environment. The environment here was completely new. Being in a familiar environment, but one where things and people have changed, seems unsettling.
Maybe I'm worrying about nothing. I do know that I need to focus on the here and now and make the most of my dwindling days. I've still got a sizeable list of things I want to do in London and have two major trips left before I leave. Know that I'm not complaining -- I have nothing in the world to complain about. I simply want this trip to have truly affected me for the better.
Decemberists tonight with Alex. Hooray.
When I think about it, though, my fears are substantiated. I have experienced (and have a month remaining of) an absolutely life-changing, invaluable, words-can't-do-it-justice time here. I have made so many incredible friends, become more confident and independent than I ever could imagine, and learned to trust and believe in myself. I have seen more of the world than I ever expected to in a lifetime, been exposed to an intoxicating mix of viewpoints and cultures, and seen how exciting and fulfilling life can be. I have learned a great deal about myself, gotten a glimpse of the future, and discovered who is trustworthy and truly important to me. I have matured, dealt with homesickness and heartbreak, and figured out how to make the most of bad situations.
My biggest fear is that I will lose all of this when I come home. Sure, I worry about missing London and being bored and uninspired in Atlanta. I worry that I won't make friends as easily as I did here. Most of all, though, I worry that all of this growing and experiencing may be lost when I return home. I will be moving to a new place when I return -- I have no idea where -- and will be in a semi-new environment. The environment here was completely new. Being in a familiar environment, but one where things and people have changed, seems unsettling.
Maybe I'm worrying about nothing. I do know that I need to focus on the here and now and make the most of my dwindling days. I've still got a sizeable list of things I want to do in London and have two major trips left before I leave. Know that I'm not complaining -- I have nothing in the world to complain about. I simply want this trip to have truly affected me for the better.
Decemberists tonight with Alex. Hooray.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Come to New York!
Post a Comment