Rome is an extremely interesting and enticing city. Once the capital of the Western world, the city hardly holds the same power and prominence. That's not to say that it isn't a great place to visit. On the contrary, Rome is now an innovative mix of old and new. The world's top fashion designers are here, their stores across the street from crumbling monuments. Even billboards incorporate Roman ruins into their design, in an attempt to blend in with the unique city landscape.
The city is overrun with tourists, which is unfortunate, but ensures that nearly everyone speaks a bit of English. Rome also has more beggars than any European city I've seen. What's more, they're particularly heartwrenching. After spending a day in Vatican city, it's hard to pass a mother with her crying infant or a man with twisted legs asking for change. There are also loads of men around peddling small goods, looking to make a quick buck. These guys were particularly annoying, but I had to appreciate their entrepreneurship when it began to rain and they all whipped out umbrellas for sale.
In two days, I must have walked nearly 20 miles. The hike from St. Peter's Basilica to my hotel was nearly five miles alone. On the positive side, I spent virtually nothing on transportation and got loads of exercise. Based on all of the pizza I ate, that's a very good thing. In addition to eating and walking, I saw all of the major sights including the Colosseum, Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Palatine Hill, Fontana di Trevi, Vatican Museum (including the Sistine Chapel), and St. Peter's Basilica. One of my favorite moments during the trip was sipping a cappuchino on the rooftop terrace of Il Vittoriano, with a gorgeous view of the street and crumbling marble columns below. It was the first time I sat down, relaxed, and took it all in -- the first time it hit me that I was in Rome. As has happened many, many times during the past few months, I was supremely grateful for everything in my life.

One of the towering remains in Palantine Hill. This area was like a graveyard of ancient temples and monuments.
Ironically, leaving London (or, rather, leaving and coming back) made it seem more like home. Leaving the airport for another city made me realize how much I feel like I belong here. Riding the train home felt reassuringly normal. Everything -- the gray skies, the quaint neighborhoods, the British accents -- was familiar. Funny enough, I was even relieved to see that the cars were again driving on the right side of the road.
Rome seemed to be a world away from London, and London is a world away from Atlanta. I haven't figured out whether international travel makes the world more or less confusing. You definitely realize how complex and full of contradictions it is. The world is big and small, similar and diverse, and painfully beautiful and ugly all at once.
I don't even know how many layers of culture shock I'm going to have to adjust to by the time I get home.
No comments:
Post a Comment