04 December 2005
It's all in how you look at it, baby.
Dublin wasn't the most spectacular city I've been to at all. The weather was awful, and there were times that I longed for the days of traveling solo. That being said, I still enjoyed myself. While Dublin is hardly the biggest or prettiest or most charming city in the UK, it's a great place to visit because of the people. I love the Irish. They're friendly, fun-loving, and know how to make the best of any situation.
Peter and I spent hours in small pubs enjoying traditional Irish music and watching locals dance. Within a few minutes of arriving at the first pub, I saw two men in kilts, countless people drinking Guinness and dancing, and a band complete with banjo, fiddle, guitar, bodhran and flute. It's interesting to go to a new place and discover what misconceptions and uneducated stereotypes you had. Sometimes, it's even more interesting to see stereotypes actually exist.
Although I'd hardly qualify myself as a fan of Guinness, the extensive brewery tour gave me a new respect for the beverage. Another highlight of the trip happened by chance yesterday afternoon, while Peter and I were wandering around looking for last-minute things to do. We went into the Christchurch Cathedral and, instead of having to pay the admission charge, we were treated to a free recital of Irish Christmas songs. Beautiful.
---
So, now I have less than two weeks remaining until I return home. I'm actually looking forward to it -- much more so than I expected to. I think Christmas is a perfect time to be coming home. Everything Christmas-related has definitely made me homesick and helped me realize that there's no substitute for family during the holidays. I've gotten the sweetest emails and messages from friends back home, and I'm really looking forward to moving into a new house.
There's no doubt that I will miss the people I've met here and that I will suffer from major London withdrawals. That being said, there's a lot to look forward to in Atlanta. Being here has made me realize how incredible my friends are back home and has given me a newfound appreciation for the States, Atlanta, and even the South.
Of course, I also don't have to be terribly sad because I know that -- if I am determined enough -- I will return to London someday. I haven't even begun to see and experience the world yet. This is just the beginning, kids.
Peter and I spent hours in small pubs enjoying traditional Irish music and watching locals dance. Within a few minutes of arriving at the first pub, I saw two men in kilts, countless people drinking Guinness and dancing, and a band complete with banjo, fiddle, guitar, bodhran and flute. It's interesting to go to a new place and discover what misconceptions and uneducated stereotypes you had. Sometimes, it's even more interesting to see stereotypes actually exist.
Although I'd hardly qualify myself as a fan of Guinness, the extensive brewery tour gave me a new respect for the beverage. Another highlight of the trip happened by chance yesterday afternoon, while Peter and I were wandering around looking for last-minute things to do. We went into the Christchurch Cathedral and, instead of having to pay the admission charge, we were treated to a free recital of Irish Christmas songs. Beautiful.
---
So, now I have less than two weeks remaining until I return home. I'm actually looking forward to it -- much more so than I expected to. I think Christmas is a perfect time to be coming home. Everything Christmas-related has definitely made me homesick and helped me realize that there's no substitute for family during the holidays. I've gotten the sweetest emails and messages from friends back home, and I'm really looking forward to moving into a new house.
There's no doubt that I will miss the people I've met here and that I will suffer from major London withdrawals. That being said, there's a lot to look forward to in Atlanta. Being here has made me realize how incredible my friends are back home and has given me a newfound appreciation for the States, Atlanta, and even the South.
Of course, I also don't have to be terribly sad because I know that -- if I am determined enough -- I will return to London someday. I haven't even begun to see and experience the world yet. This is just the beginning, kids.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment