15 December 2005

This is a distraction from writing essays.

When I stop and think about my life, my heart begins to race. I am infinitely blessed. I can’t even begin to summarize what this experience has meant to me, nor can I fully comprehend so. I can’t accurately describe my feelings for London, or travelling, or even give a good description of what it means to be British. All I can honestly say in retrospect is that the past four months have resulted in the most character-building and priceless period of my life. I expected to come into this and learn all about the world and different cultures. While that definitely happened, I also learned and discovered a great deal about myself. If I have gained anything from this experience, it’s clarity. I have begun to see and understand what is truly important in life and what I want to do with mine. For that, I am extremely grateful.

On Sunday, I will get on a plane headed over 4,000 miles away and finally return home. It will mark the end of the greatest experience of my life, and the beginning of yet another exciting stage. In a way, Sunday could be the best day of my life. It hasn’t even begun yet. It carries infinite possibilities and glimpses of what the future holds. Sunday only brings me one step closer to realizing how the past four months have impacted me.

As for today, I am finding it harder to say goodbye to people than I ever imagined. I figured that one of the most difficult things about studying abroad would be saying goodbye and leaving home for so long. That’s not true; because, no matter how hard the goodbye, you take solace in the fact that you will return. Today, however, I can’t say comforting things like “It won’t seem that long,” or “We’ll see each other soon enough.” To be honest, I probably won’t see many of the people that I’ve met ever again. That’s the problem with meeting people from all over: they’re easy to fall in love with, but difficult to stay in touch with.

But, once again, I realize how fortunate I am. During the next two days I will be surrounded by friends, acknowledging how much we mean to each other. Following that, I will be greeted at the airport by family and my all-time favorite guy. To be loved by such amazing people on two different continents is a blessing indeed.

Goodnight everyone. Tomorrow is a new day.

1 comment:

Becca said...

You make me so happy, Katie. I really needed to read your inspiring thoughts. It's been a rough weekend for me, and you just really put things in perspective.

I can't wait to see you :-)